Friday, January 21, 2011

Spread the Word

This semester, I am enrolled in a sort-of experimental class called "Animal Agriculture Advocacy and Policy" and to say this course is right up my alley is an understatement. I LOVE IT!  We meet every Friday at 11:30 and will spend our weekly hour listening to the stories and wisdom of guest speakers who  are successful advocates of agriculture, training to represent this industry in a media setting, and discussing new methods of combatting animal rights activist groups.

It dawned on me today, sitting front and center,  absorbing fact after terrifying fact about the effectiveness of the Humane Society of the United States that, 'Sure, I can sit here revelling in how passionate I am about all this stuff, but it doesn't do any good unless I do something with all this knowledge."  So here we go, the first of many Friday posts to come, strictly dedicated  to passing  what I learn on to you, and encouraging you to  pay it  forward.

Drum roll please....



  1. You know those heart-wrenching commercials with Sarah  McLachlan and Willie Nelson crooning in the background..."For only $19 per month you can save these poor, sick puppies and kittens from  neglect and abuse." Less than 0.5% of the Humane Society of the United States's annual budget actually makes it to pet shelters.  Only $1.03 of that $19 is used for what the commercial advertises.
  2. As of yesterday, Justin Bieber is the newest celebrity to officially join P.E.T.A. Yeah, so over Bieber Fever.
  3. Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. states, "Large-scale hog producers are a greater threat to the United States and democracy that Osama bin Laden's terrorist network."
Run and Tell That,
JanLee

No comments:

Post a Comment